I pray. I pray quite a bit. I pray with my wife. I pray with my kids. I want to pray more. The time we get to spend in conversation with God is a blessing that can’t be overstated. The idea that we can personally speak with our creator and the creator of the universe is something that I never want to take for granted.
I find myself in a constant state of thanksgiving while I am in prayer. Over and over I thank the Lord for all his blessings on my life. Things have been difficult, and remain so, to be sure, but the level of blessing on myself and my family is just so great that it is hard to stop thanking God for his generosity. Why we are being blessed is a mystery, we deserve none of it, it can only be explained as Gods divine love and his heart that longs to give. I thought I’d list a few of things that I have thanked God for as of late.
• I am thankful for my salvation and for the relationship instilled in me with Jesus Christ. He pulled me out of a dark and ugly place of anger, hurt, and frustration to show me a life that is more than I could have asked for and far more than I deserve.
• I am thankful for my beautiful wife. She is an inspiration to me and my biggest supporter. She is an instrument of God in her prayer life and a blessing on everyone she comes in contact with. Her strength and perseverance during times of trial are a godsend and I will never tire of her love and affection (even when I am an idiot).
• I am thankful for “the crew”. That is the name that my wife has given our five children and it describes them perfectly. When we show up there will be a cloud of dust and a murmur of chaos. I love them for it. Five distinct personalities that clash constantly but that make up a family unit that I couldn’t be more proud of.
• I am thankful for the chance to share what Jesus has done for me. I can’t help myself, I have seen a life transformed, my life, and I have to talk about it.
• I believe that I was created to serve and it has been a blast so far. Sometimes it only consists of writing a silly blog post that touches someone, tithing, or talking with someone in pain, or a prayer for a friend. Whatever it is, I am thankful that I have the opportunity to do something in the midst of a time-challenging career that often leaves little time for much else. I want to serve God full-time someday, but I know I am exactly where he wants me to be right now, and that I will serve in whatever capacity he chooses for me. And I will be grateful for each opportunity.
• I am thankful for the challenges that have been put in front of me in the recent months. Leading a family, a marriage, finances, health issues, and even housing may be challenging soon. It has all been a privilege to endure and I know that without Christ on my side, I could never have done any of it. It is a process and I am becoming a better man because of it. I know that our needs will be provided for, He will not let us fail.
Thank you, Lord. You are a life-saving, life-changing, life-giving, life-developing god. Anything I am or I become is all because of you and I will never stop thanking you for it.